WHITE PAPER – SWEDISH COMPANIES SHOW RESILIENCE: ANALYSIS OF LATE SEPTEMBER’S MEDIA REPORTING
In September 2018, two events took place that resulted in an increased reporting about Sweden in Chinese media. SwedCham has analysed the events and potential effects on Swedish companies in China. The results presented in the white paper below show that the majority of the interviewed companies have not been notably affected, and continue to show strength both as consumer brands, as well as employers.
Highlights from the report include:
- 77% of surveyed SwedCham member companies have not been negatively affected by the events.
- 23% of companies state that they have been affected, reporting mostly comments in social media, worry amongst customers and/or employees and cancelled meetings with partners, media and as examples.
- Overall, 8 out of 10 Chinese interviewed in Beijing and Shanghai have had an unchanged or more positive image of Sweden throughout the year.
- Among the 22% that report a worsened image, the effect of the events is clear. With 55% of viewers reporting a worsened image, the effect is most pronounced among viewers of the Svenska Nyheter segment.
- Companies express a certain uncertainty of long-term effects and ask for extended studies of Sweden’s brand in China focusing on the consumer market.
- SwedCham notices the need to initiate a dialogue regarding what types of communicative support that Swedish companies abroad may need under similar circumstances.
Click here for the full paper: